Unlike most local construction companies, Southeastern Properties and Development Company is unique in that we are operated by an individual with an engineering background. Our President, John Cooper, graduated Cum Laude with a B.S. in Construction Engineering and Management from North Carolina State University. John has extensive experience in both residential and commercial construction. John’s employment record includes:
Southeastern Properties and Development Company, Sanford, NC
President/Co-Founder, May 2001-Present
- Conceived and started a land development and residential construction business based in Harnett County, NC.
- Work includes business plan development, loan negotiation, bookkeeping, estimating, overseeing land improvements, overseeing residential construction projects, and sale negotiations.
Brasfield & Gorrie LLC, Raleigh, NC
Estimator, May 2004-May 2005
- Estimated commercial and healthcare construction projects ranging from $250,000 interior upfits, to $23 million surgical expansions, to a $50 million shopping center.
- Work included bid solicitation, interviewing subcontractors, complete project take-off, evaluating bids, project scheduling, building an estimate, writing qualification statements, and presenting bids to owners.
Crowder Construction Company, Apex, NC
Cooperative Education-Project Engineer, January 2002-May 2003
- Worked on a project management team overseeing the construction/upgrade of a waste water treatment plant in Johnston County, NC and a water treatment plant in Orange County, NC.
- Work included estimating, material purchasing, subcontract negotiations, submittal preparations, project scheduling, and acting as a liaison between Crowder Construction and the Engineering firm.
John’s father is a master trim carpenter; John spent most of his summers growing up on jobsites apprenticing. Many of the subcontractors that he met as a child work for Southeastern today. His background as a subcontractor himself and his long working relationship with many of our top subcontractors creates a strong sense of loyalty among our crews which translates into a higher quality product for our clients.
John’s engineering background has proven to be invaluable to our clients. By completing design work in house and employing our own draftsman we have been able to save our clients thousands of dollars.
John enjoys spending time with his family and friends and is an dog lover. He spends much of his freetime fulfilling his duties as chair of HAVEN in Lee County’s board of directors.